Minutes - Information Committee

Minutes of the Information Committee Meeting, July 25, 2016

Draft: May be subject to revision

Present: Jack Arnold (Webmaster), Carol Leyba (Editor/Designer of Vistas), Gershon Siegel, DiAna Gutierrez, Bill Dunning, and Claudia Daigle (Alternate Board Liaison). Chair Frank Schober’s absence was excused.

As the Chair and the regular Board Liaison were both absent, Jack Arnold ran the meeting.

Additions to the regular agenda:

Claudia wanted to discuss the mowing of the greenbelts being considered by the Board. She suggested that Vistas interview the Conservation Committee’s John Parker and let the community know about the greenbelt proposal, prior to the Board’s decision. Apparently, at its most recent meeting, the Board tabled this proposal. Some on our committee said that we would check with Dag to get the Board’s view of this suggestion.

Website Review:

Jack completed the tasks he was asked to undertake on the website (Download This Month’s Vistas button on home page; posting of the Covenant Compliance Process).

Jack again presented the site visitor statistics, which have returned to normal after the spike in April caused by hack attempts from Russia. The committee also viewed the stats on the most visited pages and the most often downloaded documents. Jack explained that he had not been able to get regular statistics on how many individuals downloaded Vistas; but with the button on the home page, we can see how many people click there.

Eblasts from ECIA

Last month, it had been noted that the “sender” for the eblast is shown as Pam Henline, though it actually comes from the ECIA office (from Gloria) and should be changed to show that. Apparently this has not yet been enacted. Jack will discuss with Brenda. [POST-MEETING POSTSCRIPT: This change in the eblast sender has been changed, per Brenda Leonard.]

Signups to Receive Online Vistas

Gershon suggested that we make an effort to encourage more residents to receive their copy of Vistas online. We could, for instance, include a larger reminder of this option in Vistas (there is a small one on the back page); and we could also put a form online for signups. An online signup has not been offered previously for technical reasons which no longer apply; so Jack will discuss with Brenda.

Makeup of the September issue of Vistas:

  • The Fire Department Barbecue, for front page (Carol to check with Wendy Servey)
  • Article on water availability during this summer, by Gershon
  • Budget development schedule, expected from Dan Drobnis
  • Claudia’s suggestions: Information on prairie dog relocation costs; also on $80K cost of playground equipment
  • Gershon’s suggestion: Article on the special election to remove Claudia from the Board.
  • Limerick about the prairie dog relocation or playground equipment (from Bill)
  • Photograph of the community garden (sent in by Obie Oberhausen but not used in August issue)
  • Board Actions: Dag will send.
  • Article on School Fun Run (Carol to check with PTA)
  • Article from Mark Young, on white silicone roofs.
  • Update on offroad vehicles, from Mark Young
  • Flora & Fauna article, TBD
  • Another article on yoga (received)

The meeting was adjourned at 8 pm.

Drop-dead due date for articles is August 10 (except for Board Actions); the job is going to the printer on the morning of August 19.

The next meeting is scheduled for August 22.

Thanks to Jack for bringing more watermelon and chile!

Respectfully submitted,

Carol Leyba

July 26, 2016

*************************************************************************************************

Minutes of the Information Committee Meeting, June 20, 2016

Draft: May be subject to revision

Present: Dag Ryen (Board Liaison), Jack Arnold (Webmaster), Carol Leyba (Editor/Designer of Vistas), Gershon Siegel, DiAna Gutierrez, Bill Dunning, and Claudia Daigle (Alternate Board Liaison). Chair Frank Schober’s absence was excused.

Followup on Old Business (from Dag Ryen):

  • Work is underway to prepare for installation of the marquee sign on Avenida Eldorado.
  • Planning for July 4 events is going well; vendors will provide most of the food; sno cones and popcorn will be handled by volunteers.
  • The summary of the covenants, drafted to be included in a welcome letter, has been submitted to the Architecture Committee for review.

Website Review:

Jack received a thorough list from DiAna of content that needed updating or fixing on the website; these updates have been completed.

Jack has posted new forms on the site, updated links, and added some new photos.

Jack presented the site visitor statistics, which have returned to normal after the spike in April caused by hack attempts from Russia. The committee also viewed the stats on the most visited pages and the most often downloaded documents. There was a question about why, though the Vistas page was often visited, there was no evidence of downloads of the Vistas pdfs. Jack will investigate this discrepancy.

Gershon suggested adding a button to the home page: “Download This Month’s Vistas”—all agreed this was a good idea.

 Claudia suggested that we need something on the website that describes the covenant compliance process—namely, a list of the steps undertaken once a covenant violation has been recognized. She said this information should be under “Resident Resources.” According to DiAna, Mark Young, the ECIA Covenant Compliance Representative, does have a standard operating procedure for handling covenant offenses, which could probably be posted. Carol suggested this topic could make a good article.

Eblasts from ECIA

Claudia objected to the fact that non-residents and non-lot owners can sign up to receive e-blasts from the ECIA. Dag and others could see no reason to restrict these to ECIA members and renters, as any information put on as “News Briefs” is ultimately posted on the website, which is open to all.

It was noted that the “sender” for the eblast is shown as Pam Henline, though it actually comes from the ECIA office (from Gloria). It would be better if the sender is shown as being the ECIA; Dag will ask Brenda to handle this.

Makeup of the August issue of Vistas:

  • The Library’s fundraiser, Ice Cream Social, for front page (will come from library)
  • Article on the new ECIA staff, by Gershon
  • Information from the forum regarding the hens resolution (meeting to be held on July 14; Carol will have to hold space for late submission). [Perhaps Dag will cover this in his Message from the President?]
  • Limerick about the Ice Cream Social (from Bill)
  • List of pool swim times
  • Photograph of the community garden (sent in by Obie Oberhausen)
  • Board Actions: Dag will send.
  • Article from Mark Young, TBD.
  • Flora & Fauna article, TBD

Future stories:  An article on the work of the Conservation Committee. DiAna will talk to Mark about this, and Dag offered to review it.

The meeting was adjourned at 8 pm.

Drop-dead due date for articles is July 11 (except for Hens Resolution forum and Board Actions); the job is going to the printer on the morning of July 22.

The next meeting is scheduled for July 25.

Thanks to Jack for bringing watermelon and chile!

Respectfully submitted,

Carol Leyba

June 21, 2016

 

Minutes of the Information Committee Meeting, May 23, 2016

Draft: May be subject to revision

Present: Frank Schober (Chair), Dag Ryen (Board Liaison), Jack Arnold (Webmaster), Carol Leyba (Editor/Designer of Vistas), Gershon Siegel, DiAna Gutierrez, Bill Dunning, Claudia Daigle (Alternate Board Liaison), and Brenda Leonard (General Manager)

Two items were added to the agenda: (1) From Jack: Discussion of Board emails; and (2) from Claudia: Discussion of publishing committee minutes and agendas in Vistas.

Frank opened the discussion with an informal request to Dag to supply some structure to the organization of the ECIA’s July 4 parade. Dag agreed to call a meeting to plan the events. Frank agreed to head up the operations on the day of the parade.

Message from the Board (from Dag Ryen):

  • Dag announced that newly elected Board Director Claudia Daigle has been assigned as the Alternate Board Liaison to the Information Committee
  • Dag gave a brief summary of the Board’s proposal for new regulations regarding the keeping of hens; this information was circulated through e-blast from the ECIA

Followup on Old Business

  • Marquee sign for Av Eldorado: The cost of having a digital sign for the Avenida Eldorado entrance—one that could be changed from the ECIA Office, rather than on-site and by hand—has been estimated at $10K installed. This is in contrast to a $5K cost for the old-fashioned analogue sign. After some discussion, the committee recommended that the Board not invest in the digital sign.
  • The marquee sign at the Agora is getting fitted with solar lights.
  • Railroad plaque: This plaque now installed! Those who have seen it were complimentary; Jack will get a photo for the website and for Vistas.
  • You Are Here directional sign for the Community Center: Brenda is getting suggestions/sketches and bids from two companies to move this project forward. She is still awaiting responses.

Welcome Packet/Letter

Previously, Dag had asked that a letter (or brochure) of welcome be prepared for new homeowners, one that could be printed and mailed rather than delivered online. Frank drafted some text, which he distributed in the agenda for tonight’s meeting, which could act as a starting point for such a letter. Also, Bill Dunning, who attended tonight’s and last month’s meetings, has written a draft summary of the Eldorado Covenants, which was sent to, and amended by, Mark Young, Covenants Compliance Representative. Bill’s amended document, together with Frank’s text, should be submitted to the Board for their review. If approved as the text for a welcome letter, the Board will arrange to have such letters sent out to new homeowners. Brenda said that HOAMCO could run weekly reports to get mailing information on new homeowners. She also said that she has a list of the most important covenants from another property, which she found very helpful to have singled out for new homeowners, and which she would be happy to share with us.

            Again, we discussed getting communications to renters regarding covenants and guidelines. Frank posited that most covenant violations were committed by renters. Brenda corrected him by pointing out that, in fact, the major violations affecting structures on Eldorado lots are made by homeowners—as renters do not invest in adding new windows, stucco coats, or building new structures. However, renters are most often the source of “nuisance” violations, regarding dogs, trash, parking, and the like. She also noted that HOAMCO is working on their database in order to systematically follow up with residents on violations and other issues.

Website Review:

Frank expressed his belief that the Information Committee should assist Jack in regularly reviewing the website for dead links and outdated material. Jack said that his most persistent problem in keeping the site up-to-date was in regard to committee agendas and minutes, many of which are not submitted for posting in a timely manner. Committee minutes should now be submitted to Brenda, who will delegate the posting to her staff; any changes to the website calendar—that is, any changes to scheduled meetings—should be submitted to Brenda by the committees, and then Jack will be informed.

Jack also noted that community websites (found under Resident Resources > Community Websites) should be checked more often for broken or dead links. Frank suggested that Jack should assign members the task of checking these on a regular basis.

Jack (and DiAna) noted that new pictures are needed for the home page; Jack encouraged members to submit any pictures they’d like to see posted. He also said that he spends much of his webmaster time adding (and moving, as needed) new menus, updating and fixing calendar entries, and attending to hosting issues and site security problems.

Jack explained the sudden, massive increase in visitors to the ECIA site in April as originating from hack attempts; he estimated the actual real number of visitors would have been in keeping with the numbers from other months.

The committee viewed the stats on the most visited pages and Jack answered questions on these.

Board Emails:

Jack raised the question, which arose from a discussion he had with Brenda, about the Board directors’ legal vulnerability owing to the structure in place for their ECIA email accounts. That is: Each Board member has an ECIA email address at eldoradosf.org; all mail to these addresses is re-directed to the directors’ personal email accounts. In the event of a legal case involving the ECIA, those personal email accounts could be subject to subpoena in their entirety, because the ECIA-related emails would be commingled with their other, personal mail. There are two possible solutions to this.

  1. Dag uses a separate personal email account for ECIA business only, with no commingling of other personal mail. The other directors could do likewise.
  2. Jack could set up separate folders or in-boxes within eldoradosf.org for each director. Anything sent to these addresses could be backed up and available for discovery in legal situations, even after an individual member has left the Board. The in-boxes themselves would not be costly, but keeping backups of these after 30 days could cost up to $10 per mailbox. Jack will check on this cost and get back to the committee.

Makeup of the July issue of Vistas:

  • Fire-related article, by Frank, promised in the June issue; for front page
  • Article on Residents of the Year: John “Obie” Oberhausen and Tom Willmott; Gershon to write (Gershon suggested ongoing series of “Meetings with Remarkable Members”)
  • 4th of July events and picture (from last year). Dag, Jack, Frank: Do you have some good pix from last year?
  • Poem about July 4 (from Frank)
  • List of pool swim times
  • Board Actions: Dag will send.
  • Article from Mark Young, TBD.
  • Flora & Fauna article, TBD

There was a discussion of Claudia’s interest in having more information in Vistas on committee work, and the difficulty of getting information from the committees. All agreed that information about the ECIA, the Board, and the committees is the most important, but we have to include items of general interest in order to make the newsletter interesting to read (and we need white space for design purposes and general legibility). Dag agreed that greater efforts must be made to get information from committee chairs and members.

The meeting was adjourned at 9 pm.

Drop-dead due date for articles is June 12.  No exceptions other than Board Actions. If articles arrive before June 9, all the better.

The next meeting is scheduled for June 20.

Respectfully submitted,

Carol Leyba

May 24, 2016