Minutes - Stables Committee

 MINUTES OF THE AUGUST 2018 BUSINESS MEETING OF THE ELDORADO STABLE COMMITTEE

 Time and place. The August 2018 business meeting of the Eldorado Stable Committee (“the ESC”) was held on August 22, 2018 at the ECIA Community Center, and was called to order at 7:05 pm by the Chair of the ESC. Copies of the Agenda, past meeting Minutes, Financial Reports, ESC Chair report, draft charter, and draft stable rules were available.

 Quorum, Attendees, Agenda. A quorum of ESC members was present, specifically Amelia Adair, Gretel Underwood, Elsa Kloess, and Mike Ault. In addition to ESC Members, ESC Deputy Board Liaison Joseph Gutierrez and the following barn owners/sharers were present: Carol Loewy and Alice Griffin. Amelia presided as chair of the meeting. Mike served as Secretary. The Agenda was adopted as prepared.

 Minutes. The Minutes of the June 2018 ESC Business Meeting were previously approved by e-mail; there were no corrections to those Minutes.

 Stable Story. Amelia recognized and thanked multiple Stable volunteer/s, especially Mike and Maureen Ault, for scrambling when the roof of Patrisha’s barn blew off into the Ault’s barn, and also for helping Patrisha find a roofing contractor.

 Open Forum. Barn owners present were invited to raise issues and questions. The following issues were raised:

 Carol Loewy brought up the 9 empty barns, several of which are in pretty bad shape and not being maintained. (Some are listed for sale, but some are not.) She asked that ECIA take a more active role in addressing the situation and enforcing existing policies (e.g., barns are not supposed to be empty), as she feels they would with other amenities needing oversight.

 Carol and Gretel felt that the Stable Rules need an enforcement policy behind them, or otherwise revising them is not a good use of time.

 Chair’s Report. Amelia provided a written Chair Report (attached).

 ECIA Report. Alternate Board Liaison Joseph reported that the new admin (Julie Navarro) had submitted new water, property tax, and fly predator costs (not manure) to HOAMCO and we should expect new bills in the next week or so. Any questions after they are received should be addressed to Julie. Gretel expressed concerns that the ECIA office cannot ensure her water bills are accurate. Joseph stated that some other ECIA meters had been recently recalibrated, but he is unsure of the state of the barn. He also stated that Julie may start checking the meter data monthly. Financial reports were distributed and reviewed.

 Budget and Financial Issues. Amelia has created a new summary document that shows both expenses and reimbursements for a proposed 2019 Stable Amenity Budget. 2019 budget line items are pretty much in line with 2018 projected actuals, with a few exceptions:

 Water actuals for 2018 (and therefore budget for 2019) of $12,900 is much higher than 2018 budget of $7,800

 We need to figure out costs for gopher removal, which has not been budgeted in the past

 The 2019 budget includes $900 as a placeholder for water meter repairs, which is just a placeholder. The actual amount of water meter repairs—if any—would be billed back to impacted barn-owners.

 Proposed new capital expenses for signage ($200) and a new kiosk ($2000).

 ECIA contribution has been reduced from $25,580 in 2018 to $10,834 in 2019.

 Total budget amount (reimbursed and ECIA contribution) is $36,300

After further discussion about the proposed 2019 Stable Amenity Budget, Gretel moved that the Budget as drafted and amended be approved and proposed to the ECIA Board. Elsa seconded. Motion passed unanimously. Approved Budget attached to these Minutes.

Our proposed 2019 Budget will go to Finance Committee in September, then to the Board with target of adopting it in early December.

Amelia proposed revised Stable Funding Guidelines for reimbursed expenses. This was created in part to respond to ECIA request to minimize complexities and staff time spent on tracking things like horse count, which ECIA wants to do only 1x per year. Original proposal was to simply divide costs by 36 barns. But this doesn’t factor in costs like manure that vary significantly by number of horses.

The Stable Committee and Joseph discussed various options for revisions to the Stable Funding Guidelines, which will be fleshed out in more detail and discussed again at next month’s Stable Committee meeting.

 Old Business. The following items of old business were discussed:

 Gretel moved to approve revised Stable Committee Charter. Seconded by Elsa. The motion passed unanimously. Revised Stable Committee Charter attached to these Minutes.

 No update on horse burial. Luci and Karla, who are working on this issue, could not be present tonight.

 Luci has one bid back on electronic gates and is awaiting two more bids. There is $25,000 in budget.

 Mike discussed progress on the Committee’s goal to provide better information and communication with the Stable community and the broader Eldorado Community. He described the current prototype of the stable web site, and the conversation he had with Emily from the Information Committee. Mike will share the link, which has not been published. Gretel suggested adding classified ads.

Mike will liaise with the Information Committee to find out about the ECIA website updates. Mike also discussed an option for automatic text messaging, “Dial My Calls”, which would enable us to easily reach out to Barn Owners and Sharers in case of an emergency like a fire. The Committee will evaluate this service as an alternative to a phone tree.

 New Business. The following items of new business were discussed:

Non-compliant barn-owners. The problems of non-compliance with the Rules was discussed. Some barn owners have not paid property tax for years. Other barns have health and safety violations. Joseph will speak with Mark Young regarding covenant enforcement options, and with David. Options for updating the Stable Rules to make it simpler to enforce the Rules were discussed, including charging a portion of Waste Management fees to empty barns.

Nominations for Stable Committee. Tara Debrevic has resigned from the Stable Committee, and we are looking for replacements. Gretel nominated Carol, who declined. Other nominations were discussed. Mike suggested asking Karla to put something about Committee involvement in her Welcome proposal.

Next meeting was scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018 at 7:00 pm.

 Action Item Summary: The following action items were assigned during the meeting:

Action Item

Responsible Person

Deadline

Send link to prototype stable website and dial-my-calls

Mike

Aug 31

Talk to Mark and David about covenant enforcement

Joseph

Next Meeting

Recruit new Stable Committee candidates

ALL

Send Amelia feedback on draft rules

ALL

Sep 15

       
  • · Adjournment. The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 pm, so the Committee could begin a working meeting on revisions to the Stable Rules.

By: ____/ss/__________________________ _____9/13/18______________

Mike Ault, Secretary Date

2019 Stable Amenity Budget Proposal.pdf

ESC Chair Report August 2018.pdf

2018 Revised Charter Draft