Minutes - Stables Committee

.

2017 Collective Stable Committee Minutes

MINUTES OF THE ELDORADO STABLE COMMITTEE

 

ECIA Stable Committee Special Meeting
Minutes
November 27, 2017
The meeting was held at the ECIA Community Center Foyer. The meeting was called to order at 6:07 PM by interim chair Bonnie Mamp.
Attendees: Stable Committee Members Bonnie Mamp, Elsa Kloess, Gretel Underwood, Amelia Adair (acting Secretary), Luci Wienczkowski; and stable owner Carol Lowey.
Action on the Revised Stable Amenity Rules: Bonnie reported that the Board has sent us the attached comments to the Stable Rules, as part of its every other year review of committee rules. Committee members discussed the various changes proposed by Board members as reflected in different color highlighting.
Action Items:
 Amelia will ask Pat Donohue to look for the last version of the Revised Stable Rules proposed by the Stable Committee and sent to the Board in 2016.
 Amelia, Gretel and Luci will review the comments, making sure we are starting from the 2016 set of Rules, which have not yet been approved by the Board; revise the dispute resolution section to be consistent with ECIA procedure; and update sections consistent with the Revised Stable Funding Guidelines
 A revised draft of the Rules will be prepared for the Stable Committee and stable owners to review before the next Stable Committee Meeting; after comments are received from stable owners, the goal will be to present the revised Rules to the Board
Follow Up on Revised Stable Amenity Funding Guidelines:
 MANURE TRANSPORT:
o Bonnie reported that a decision has not yet been made by the Board regarding where smaller dumpsters will be placed.
o Discussion covered the risks of using makeshift ramps for wheelbarrows and the logistics of lifting muck buckets up steps into the dumpsters. The importance of satellite piles was raised.
o Further discussion took place about possible alternative options for manure transport, which may meet the Board’s goals of covered manure storage and reduced costs (since, according to the Revised Funding Guidelines stable owners will have to either perform or pay for manure transport). Options discussed included
building at least covered, two concrete pads with back stops and ramps, where a tractor could efficiently load a dump truck or large rolloff dumpster; or hiring a contractor to pick up and dump muck buckets 3 x per week which barn owners would place in front of their barns on designated days.
o Action Item: Amelia, Pat and Alice will continue to research options for manure transport. Amelia will contact contractor Ken Blake to discuss and obtain a bid for these options.
 WATER METER READING. Bonnie reported that the water meters will be read in December, but barn owners will be charged if they have to clean out the meter boxes. Timing of billing is unclear
o Action Items:
 Bonnie will contact Isabel regarding promised gopher eradication program;
 The Stable Committee will remind owners to clean out their meter boxes
 STABLE BUDGET. Gretel discussed the fact that requested and budgeted maintenance for the common areas, including arenas and roads, has not yet been performed.
o Action Items: Gretel will follow up with Isabel regarding outstanding maintenance
Stable Holiday Party. The party is planned for December 16 from 6:00 – 9:00 pm at the Community Center in the Living Room; it will be a potluck. We will invite the Board.
Announcements
 NEXT REGULARLY SCHEDULED MEETING IS JANUARY 10 at 6:00 pm. Rules and Horse burials will be on the agenda.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:05 PM.
Respectfully submitted,
Amelia Adair, Acting Secretary

 

The Eldorado Stable Committee regular business meeting was held on Tuesday, October 24, 2017, at the Eldorado Community Center.  Committee members present were: Luci Wienczkowski, Bonnie Mamp, Karen Cameron, Gretel Underwood, Amelia Adair and Elsa Kloess. Several Barn Owners were also present.  The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm by Interim Chair Bonnie Mamp. Minutes of the previous meeting were previously approved by email and sent to ECIA.  Agenda was approved as corrected with a motion to approve by Amelia, and a second from Gretel.

In Open Forum, Barn Owner Randy Jenks inquired about the billing of the fly predator program and the ECIA billing statement.

The report on New Billing was given by Amelia and Gretel.   The Board has adopted the Revised Stable Guidelines, including “Plan B” which requires, As of January 1, 2018, that barn owners will be responsible for putting manure into the bin.  Amelia, Pat and Alice volunteered to participate in an Ad Hoc  committee to look into alternative proposals for manure transport to be presented to the Board. 

Gretel reported that AFC paving came to look at the drainage on the Tree Road. Input about drainage was requested from barn owners.  This topic now goes back to the GM and possible input from the Conservation Committee.

Sub-committee reports were given. General Maintenance  reported that the broken bolt is fixed,  some pot holes are fixed, the lower arena has a new mounting block.   There will be work to have the drainage of Road 1 back to the arroyo.  Weeds will be cut in the informal arena.  Barn owners need to dig out their own water meter holes.  Arena Committee stated that Upper arena is read for the big fall overhaul. Now is a good time for the lower arena to be disked, harrowed and dragged.  Kenny Blake will be called.  The grounds are looking good. We need a rock picking party.  In 2018 the upper arena will have major work done to it and panels replaced.   The weeds at the emergency gate are maintained.   Community Day was successful with 109 visitors, and 30 pony rides provided by Listening Horse Therapeutic Riding.  Thank you to all volunteers.   The Community Day event was well supported by the General Manager. Amelia will take responsibility for managing the fly predator program in 2018.  Tommie suggested it needs to be evaluated as the new manure removal takes all of our fly predators with it.  . Budget and financial review there is no rollover for the operating budget.  The reserve budget has three items for 2018: upper arena subsurface and railing, side road 1 work, and main stable road work.

New Business items were presented. Election of officers will happen at the January meeting as the Interim Chair will step down.  New stable owners may not be receiving stable information form the ECIA office.  A suggestion of a welcoming committee for new owners was discussed, as a way to inform the barn owners that new owners have proper horse health certificates.   The complaint process needs to be adjusted so that it does not burden the GM with so much time.  Complaint process revisions have not been implemented as they are part of the revised Rules which have not yet been approved by the Board.  The complaint process will be complaints are in writing to the Stable Committee and if the stable committee feels it needs to go to the GM then the GM will get involved. Gates are to remain closed per the edict of the ECIA.

Discussion Items:  Where is the rule revision?  Holiday party will be planned. 

Next meeting,  January 10, 2018.

The meeting adjourned at 8:51 pm

Minutes prepared by the Secretary, Karen Cameron.

 

The Eldorado Stable Committee regular business meeting was held on

Thursday, July 6, 2017, at the Eldorado Community Center.  Committee members present were: Pat Donahue, Luci Wienczkowski, Bonnie Mamp, Karen Cameron, Gretel Underwood and Elsa Kloess. The meeting was called to order at 7:08pm. Minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

The General Manager’s report and Liaison’s report was given by Pam Henline.  Barn inspection and barn re inspection were held.  Twelve barns received letters and one third of them have met the requirements of the letter.  Stable expenditures were brought to the meeting and upon review several items need to be addressed with the Board: electricity, cameras, and signs. The rules are in revision and will remain in revision until the new billing for maintenance and amenity are addressed by the Board. The ECIA is still discussing additional charges and handling of manure and labor.  The Eldorado Water has a report out about possible water contamination problems connected with the  burial of horses.  They recommend no more burials.  The Stable Committee is looking into this.

Sub-committee reports were given. Road committee is looking into which road needs work.  Arena Committee stated that Upper arena is read for the big fall overhaul. Community day organizers are considering a different date later in the fall.  Community day is in need of volunteers. The fly predator program needs to be evaluated as the new manure removal takes all of our fly predators with it.  The program, if it continues will need new volunteers.  IF there is not a tube for your flies, a paper bag or something with holes for them to climb out will also work. Stable expenditures will now be a committee discussion item.  Emergency Plan will now be a committee discussion item

New Business items were presented. Gretel Underwood nominated Amelia Adar for a position on the Stable Committee.  Elsa Klose seconded the motion.  All were in favor.  Gretel Underwood nominated Bonnie Mamp as Interim Chairperson of the Stable Committee.  Elsa Kloess seconded the motion.  All were in favor. Pat Donohue is resigning as chair at the end of this meeting subject to the approval of the stables recommendation of Amelia by the Board. 

Discussion Items:  The Stables has new members. Their information will be in the July roster update. Welcoming of new members with a letter from the community was recommended. The Emergency Plan was discussed. Evacuation of horses is the responsibility of horse owner. Speeding is still a concern.  The best solution for the gate problem would be an electronic gate. There is a problem with the clasp at the lower gate. Inquiry of owning more than one barn at the stable was made.

Next meeting,  October 12, 2017.

The meeting adjourned at 8:57pm

 

Eldorado Stable Committee

Meeting Minutes

April 5, 2017

______________________________________________

Attendance:  Committee Members:  Pat Donahue, Chair; Elsa Kloss; Bonnie Manp and Luci

                       Wienczkowski

                        ECIA Board:  Pam Hemline, Stable Liaison

                        Stable Community:  Amelia Adair, Gretel Underwood, Carol Lowey, Dina

                        Siegel, Lisa Bessone, Deb Norman, Amanda Kimera and Debbie and Mike

                        Swiderski

Meeting called to order:  By Pat at 7:05pm

Approval of Agenda:  Pat added barn inspections under new business.

                                      Elsa made a motion to approve.  Bonnie seconded.  Approved

                                      unanimously.

Approval of last meeting’s minutes:  Elsa made a motion to approve.  Bonnie seconded. 

                                                                Approved unanimously.

Old Business:  Dina reported the Emergency Evacuation Plan is almost complete.  A meeting was held last week for comments and suggestions and she will incorporate those.  It was noted that the burden of evacuation is the responsibility of the horse owner.  A brand inspector will be invited to the stable for people to get or update their transport papers.  Date TBA.

Action Item:  ECIA office needs a copy of the plan.  The plan will be included in all

welcome packets.  Person responsible:  Pat.

ECIA Reports:  New Billing and Rules

Pam reported that the Board is of the opinion that barn owners should pay for the labor and possibly equipment costs associated with moving manure from the piles to the dumpster.  No decision has been made on what to charge for labor.  Also under consideration is charge the barn owners maintenance and depreciation on equipment. The estimate per barn, however, seems to be in the $130 to $200 range annually.  It was promised that this new billing policy will be discussed with barn owners prior to going into effect.

Currently, water is billed once a year.  The Board is considering moving to a twice yearly billing based on each barn’s previous use.  If a barn owner under or over pays then that will be reconciled in the following year.

Questions included:  Is it legal for the Board to charge additional costs and would that affect ECIA’s nonprofit status?  Are other amenities being looked at for user fees?  Pam said any changes would have to be looked at by the ECIA attorney.  No user fees are being considered for other amenities.  Barn owners are encouraged to send questions to Pam and to attend the upcoming Board Meeting and speak to the Board about their concerns.

The Board has not approved the revised stable rules pending decisions on billing changes.  A more readable format was suggested.  It was also suggested that the Board consider the rules as is and include any changes at a later date.

Sub-Committee Reports:

General Maintenance and Arenas – Pat

Round pens have been harrowed, lower gate has been replaced, Ken Blake is scheduled to do maintenance on the lower arena and the upper will be redone this year.

Questions included:  Will the roads receive attention this year?  There will be a plan for that.

Is the manure being just dumped or is it being disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.  It is been disposed of properly.  What can be done to prevent damage from weed whacking?  Is the light and electrical outlet on the lower row scheduled for repair?

            Action Item:  Pam will ask Mike to educate the summer temporary staff on safe weed

            whacking practices.

           

            Action Item:  Pam and Isabel to follow up on electrical malfunction.

Community Day – Pat

Listening Horses will again provide pony rides.

Fly Program – Pat and Luci

Program begins in May.  Luci and Tommie have agreed to do it for one more summer.  New volunteers are needed for next year.  Since not everyone participates, do we still what to do this?  The Board thinks we are obligated to be good neighbors to residents living around the stable.

New Business:

Pat to schedule annual barn inspections late May.

Nomination of Gretel Underwood to the ESC.  Elsa moved to nominate Gretel.  Bonnie seconded.  Approved unanimously.

Discussion Items:

Next ESC meeting is Thursday, July 6 at 7pm at the community center.

Open Forum:

Several attendees expressed concern that there is no way to have an open dialogue with the Board.  There is concern that, sometimes, the Board is not aware of all the facts surrounding an issue.  There is not enough listening on the Board’s end.  Pam will take these comments to the Board.

A question was raised about unsold barns that have been standing empty for well over 6 months.  New rules state barn can remain empty for 18 months but a lack of enforcement was acknowledged.

A barn owner inquired about what to do if a neighbor allows weeds to grow in their corral, the weeds dry up and blow into her corral causing possible injury to her horse when the horse eats the weeds with stickers on them.  It was noted that there is a notification process for these situations and the barn owner should alert the ESC and they will make sure the process is initiated.

Meeting Adjourned:  8:42pm

Respectfully Submitted,

Luci Wienczkowski

April 6, 2017

 

 

The Eldorado Stable Committee regular business meeting was held on

Wednesday, January 11, 2017, at the Eldorado Community Center.  Committee members present were: Pat Donahue, Luci Wienczkowski, Bonnie Mamp, Karen Cameron and Elsa Kloess. The meeting was called to order at 6:04pm. Minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

The General Manager’s report was given by General Manager Isabel Ugarte.  The cameras are ready, waiting on a case to protect them.  Gloria and Isabela are to be trained on their use.  The purpose is for security reasons; break in, theft and vandalism as required by insurance on ECIA property, to protect ECIA property; not for monitoring gate closure. Water, remaining manure and tax bills will go out mid January.  Waste Management will now remove manure. Waste Management is about the same cost as Ken Blake. Local Gardeners can still come and help themselves.  The floor was open for discussion and clarification.

The report of the Liaison was given by Isabel Ugarte.  The stable rule changes will be addressed at the ECIA retreat.  Rules went through the proper protocol of: suggested changes, to the committee, to the community.  Fines for Eldorado will also be addressed at the retreat.  A copy of the rules, which the committee sent to the Board, versus the final Board rules will be available for transparency of how changes came about from what the committee sent versus the Board’s decision. The floor was open for discussion and clarification.

Sub-committee reports were given.  Clearing snow is working well. Grounds look good. Maintenance crew is slowing down on road.  The lower arena up keep and road up keep need to be looked at.  The upper arena work will be done in early 2017 as weather allows. Luci and Tomi have agreed to do the Fly Predator Program for 2017. Purchase of flies early results in a discount.  The program is done May to September.  Jenny has agreed to be the momma hatchling. The floor was open for discussion and clarification.

New Business items were presented and open for all present to discuss. Welcoming of new members with a letter from the community was recommended.  Carol Lowey will copy the old letter to Pat. It is time for the 2017 roster update.  This is sent electronically, and recommended that barn owners keep a printed copy at the barn.  Elsa Kloess nominated Pat Donahue for Chairwoman of the Stable Committee.  Luci Wienczkowski seconded the motion.  All were in favor.  Luci Wienczkowskinominated Karen Cameron as Secretary of the Stable Committee.  Elsa Kloess seconded the motion.  All were in favor.  Deena Seigle presented the draft of the Stable Emergency Evacuation Plan. Goals are: plan, communicate, practice, phone tree and have it be a regular subcommittee report. The draft of the plan needs to be updated, along with a phone tree.  In late February an Emergency Preparedness meeting will be offered to stable owners.

Discussion Items:

Carol Lowey wanted to know who to call first if a horse is loose.  Call the owner first, then the GM so the GM can write up an incident report.

Next meeting,   April 5, 2017.

The meeting adjourned at 7:28.