Minutes - Stables Committee



  1.  Time and place. The June 2018 business meeting of the Eldorado Stable Committee (“the ESC”) was held on June 11, 2018 at the ECIA Community Center, and was called to order at 7:10 pm by the Chair of the ESC. Copies of the Agenda, past meeting Minutes, Financial Reports, a list of potential stable road names, and a new stable map the stable maintenance chart, and updated emergency plan were available,
  1.  Quorum, Attendees, Agenda. A quorum of ESC members was present, specifically Amelia Adair, Gretel Underwood, Elsa Kloess, Mike Ault, and Karla Lauritsen. In addition to ESC Members, ESC Board Liaison David McDonald, ECIA Director Pam Henline, and the following barn owners were present: Carol Loewy. Amelia Adair presided as chair of the meeting. Mike Ault was appointed as Secretary for the ESC, and served as Secretary for this meeting. The Agenda was adopted as prepared. The meeting was recorded.
  1.  Minutes. The Minutes of the April 2018 ESC Business Meeting were previously approved by e-mail; there were no corrections to those Minutes.
  1.  Stable Story. Amelia Adair recognized and thanked Stable volunteer/s the Stewarts, especially Jessica, for starting the “Friders” Friday evening rides. Jessica and Karla were also acknowledged for their work distributing the fly predators.
  1.  Open Forum. Barn owners present were invited to raise issues and questions. The following issues were raised:

 Carol Loewy mentioned a TV news report from Corrales about a horse evacuation plan developed in tandem with the local fire department and made available for other communities to access. Carol asked if the fire department was ever consulted on our plan, as it would be good to get definitive direction from them. Amelia will follow up with the Fire Department

 Pam shared a conversation at her barn with Berkley Chesen (vet) about a cat nearby with rabies, and Berkley is recommending that whole stable get rabies shots. Eldorado stables might consider the same.

  1.  Chair’s Report. Amelia gave a report on the following topics, including reviewing the Action Item List from last meeting:

 Reminder was sent to close gates. There was a mixed response from attendees about whether there had been noticeable improvement.

 John Henricksen (former ECIA liaison) reported to the ESC that all current ESC members are in good standing

 Mike will be taking on Communication Plan work, including a new web site

 Stakes for mowing have been provided to all barn owners who want them

 Water billing error spreadsheet was sent to ECIA (Isabel). Amelia has not heard back. David said he would add to his agenda for meeting with her tomorrow.

 Amelia has met new maintenance supervisor (Robert Hurtado) and crew, including (Loren) who has a horse. They were thanked for taking initiative on a number of overdue tasks (dragging arenas, picking up branches)

 Updated Emergency Preparedness Plan is done. Isabel will call/email Amelia to kick off the phone tree as provided in the Plan.

 New committee members approved.

 Luci has drafted a proposed horse compost proposal for more discussion.

 Road name survey has been sent to barn owners and sharers

 Isabel and Robert have given green light for arroyo cleanup and can provide tools. We still need to schedule.

 Lots of realtor activity and interested potential owners.

Annual Inspection: Down to 3 barns needing to do work. 2 of these are for sale. Discussion focused on the next steps if the remaining barns do not come into compliance after their third and final notice, when the ESC will make a recommendation for action to the Board.

Water meters. Report has gone to Isabel, showing bills are very different from previous years, some are much lower, some are higher. No audit of the water bills has yet been received from HOAMCO. Discussion followed on who owns the water meters; they are not mentioned in the current version of the Rules.

Hydrant at barn 16 is close to entrance and barn-owners is concerned people are coming in and using it. Amelia has asked Robert to look into options for locking it

Gophers are being trapped in large numbers. Several meters have no vault or landscape fabric around the meters, enabling gophers to get in below the walled portion.

Road and Arena Maintenance. We have two bids for roads, but one is way overpriced. Awaiting a third bid. Arena refurb bid accepted, contactor is awaiting approval from HOAMCO.

 Amelia attended a recent Conservation Committee meeting. John Reynolds (Chair) has vision for walkable Eldorado.

Rule and Charter Revisions. David is not in favor of adding fines, as had been discussed with John Henricksen. Amelia proposed a working meeting for next month to focus on rules, which have not been approved since 2014. Stable Committee did revision in 2016 that was never approved. New stable funding guidelines need to be included in updated version as well.

  1.  ECIA Report. Board Liaison David McDonald reported that he was getting a feel for stables after 90 minute meeting with Amelia. Stable Tour has been scheduled for the two new Board members on June 14. Financial Reports will not be done until Financial Committee meets on Wednesday. David asked for and received feedback on the billing system for the Stables and new horse paperwork.

 The ESC asked David to find out which staff member is responsible for new horse paperwork. A new Assistant GM is in the process of being hired.

 Carol suggested a new form that captures name of old and new owner to help tie everything together for ECIA

 Pam asked about Listening Horse at Community Day and whether they had insurance. Amelia stated they did have insurance last year and should again this year.

  1.  Old Business. The following items of old business were discussed:

Emergency Plan: Amelia seeking volunteers to take over management and follow through of the Emergency Plan. David suggested talking with Courtney about phone trees, texts, robocalls. Amelia will contact the Fire Department to review the Plan; Mike offered to look into tools for communication. Other ways to help barn owners prepare to evacuate their equines in an emergency were discussed.

Communications: Mike has been thinking about tools to help communication both within the stable committee, and with external stakeholders (realtors, new homebuyers, broader ECIA community). He shared a chart outlining how an “online hub” could facilitate information sharing and asked whether this is something that would be useful. David stated that ECIA is working on a refresh of its site, and asked whether we can plug into that effort, as long as we can find a way to keep content up-to-date? He also noted that communications are an important part of each committee’s role. Mike plans to connect with new Board member Emily at tour, who is on the Information Committee, and also volunteered to be “guinea pig” for updating our section of the ECIA site. Mike asked for and received feedback. The ESC agreed that it would be great to have our own site. David stated that site needed to be under ECIA, but we can have as many sections as we want.

Greeters: Karla’s new barn-owner experience project overlaps a lot with the new web site project. She asked people what they wanted to know in a “welome packet”:

 Basic information about how it works (barn policies)

 Costs (water, fly predators)

 Finding resources (hay in a drought)

 Instructors and trainers

 Who can mentor or buddy them?

Committee members suggested using email or Facebook to announce new people—add photos of people and their horses? Carol clarified people would need to give permission before being announced.

Horse Burial: Amelia distributed summary from Luci and recapped the recent history of Water Department concerns and the Board’s suspension of on-property burials. She suggested that the Stable Committee develop a specific proposal to the board requesting reconsideration in line with county guidelines. Karla’s husband is an environmental scientist, and she provided his feedback on the Water Department’s concerns. The Committee discussed options for collecting and presenting information and a proposal to allow environmentally appropriate horse burials or composting on site to the Water Department and the Board. Karla will work with Luci and other interested members to develop a proposal for discussion at the August ESC meeting.

Electric Gates: Moved topic to next meeting.

Road Names: The Committee had questions about where each road began and ended. A motion to name the roads was withdrawn, to allow time for further discussion on road names. Further discussion centered on the possibility of improving visibility of barn numbers signs.

July 4 Parade: Amelia, Tara Debrevic and Patrick Otis plan to ride in the parade. Anyone else with a parade-safe animal is welcome to join them.

Arroyo Cleaning: Amelia asked if anyone was interested in leading the effort to plan an arroyo cleaning day.

Community Day is on for September 22. Amelia called for a volunteer to help plan the day. ESC discussed communication and possible options for the day.

  1.  New Business. The following items of new business were discussed:

 Next meeting will be July 10 at 7:00 pm, at the ECIA Community Center. Sole agenda will be working on the Stable Rules and the Charter

  1.  Action Item Summary: The following action items were assigned during the meeting:

Action Item

Responsible Person


Draft Stable Rule and Charter revisions circulated to ESC


Before July meeting

Investigate automated calling, group text, etc.


Talk to fire department about Emergency Preparedness plan


Before July meeting

Follow up with ECIA Information Committee about website


Before August Meeting

Work with Luci to develop Horse Burial proposal, in compliance with county regulations, for ESC consideration


Before August meeting

Send documentation of past gates discussion to Committee Members


Before August meeting

Propose more detailed road name options


Before August meeting

Seek co-chair for Community Day planning


Before August meeting

Write Vista’s article and e-blast for Community Day



Propose policy for water meter ownership as part of the Rules revisions


July meeting

Confirm who is responsible for handling new horse paperwork in the ECIA office


July meeting

Seek chair for the Arroyo Clean Up day


August Mtg.

Follow up on status water meter billing audit/investigation


July meeting