Minutes - Stables Committee

MINUTES OF THE FEBRUARY 2019 SPECIAL MEETING OF

THE ELDORADO STABLE COMMITTEE

 

  1. Time and place.  The February 2019 business meeting of the Eldorado Stable Committee (“the ESC”) was held on February 7, 2019, at the ECIA Community Center, and was called to order at 6:04 pm by the Chair of the ESC.  Copies of the Agenda, the 2018 water billing spreadsheet, and a proposed Temporary Water Billing Policy were provided.
  1. Quorum, Attendees, Agenda.  A quorum of ESC members was present, specifically Amelia Adair, Mike Ault, Gretel Underwood, Elsa Kloess, and Karla Lauritsen.  In addition to ESC Members, ESC Board Liaison Libby McLaren, Deputy Liaison Joseph Gutierrez, ECIA staff-member Anna Hanson, and the following barn owners and sharers were present: Carol Loewy, Jennie Dunn, Liz Matthews, Jim & Jacqueline Garcia, Lisa Bessone, Alice Griffin, and Jessica Stewart. Amelia Adair presided as chair of the meeting.  Mike Ault served as Secretary. The meeting also was recorded.  The Agenda was adopted as submitted.
  1. Minutes.  The Minutes of the January 2019 ESC Business Meeting were previously approved by e-mail; there were no corrections to those Minutes.
  1. Stable Story.  Amelia recognized and thanked Pat Donahue and Luci Wienczkowski for their leadership in getting the new gates installed, including securing bids and qualifying contractors. She also thanked Gretel and Max Underwood for cleaning up the arroyo.
  1. Open Forum.  All stable community members have expressed much love and appreciation for the new gates. There were some questions about contractors knowing when gates are working and where to pull forward to operate the sensor, and a suggestion to develop signage to clarify this.
  1. Chair’s Report.  Amelia will attend the next Finance Committee meeting to talk about the Stable Replacement Reserve updates and water issues.
  1. Water Billing and Repair Status:
  • Joseph G shared a conversation he had with Mike Bullock (ECIA Project Manager) about the failing water infrastructure. The system previously installed was an irrigation system, which is now failing. ECIA supports a permanent fix (20+ years life) to the main trunks, with individual barn-owners paying for any work to their lines/meters.
  • David McDonald has talked to Eldorado Area Water and Sewer District about the possibility of taking over the reading and charging individual meters for each barn-owner.
  • The ECIA Finance Committee has questions about overdue water receivables from barn-owners.
  • ECIA continues to make investments in the barn (gates, arena, etc.) Water system upgrades may be an additional big cost.
  • Anna H reviewed the proposed billing spreadsheet, using estimated figures (12gal/horse/day) since June 2018 due to obvious inaccuracies in subsequent meter readings. Barn-owners will get a a single statement for all of 2018 reflecting any balance due or credit.
  • Amelia presented the proposed Temporary Water Billing Policy, which would continue to use the formula Anna shared until the infrastructure and meters are working. Joseph confirmed that the ECIA board will still need to accept this proposal.
  • Barn owners and sharers present provided feedback, asked questions and made suggestions about the spread sheet, proposed Policy and water issues in general. Discussion included:
    • Questions about how long the proposed Policy would be in effect (assume most of 2019)
    • The lack of incentive for barn owners to avoid wasting water (a strong incentive to fix the system and restore usage-based billing quickly)
    • Pursuing compensation from the installer of the previous system (probably not feasible at this point)
    • Requesting that EAWSD provide individual barn water bills vs. relying on ECIA to allocate the single, overall bill for the stables (a good idea we will explore as part of specifying the replacement system)
    • The opinion of at least one barn-owner that the 12g/horse/day estimate seems high (there was no consensus on this issue, and this rate was left unchanged)
  • MOTION: Elsa moved that the ESC recommend the proposed Temporary Water Billing Policy to the board for approval. Gretel seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
  1. Maintenance & Repair Issues:
    • Amelia reported on the upper arena project, and requested and received feedback on fencing options and footing containment options. 
    • Signs on gates: barn owners recommended a  for “pull forward to gate” sign.
    • Gretel mentioned there’s too much signage at gate now.  Amelia suggested we reconsider all gate signs together, and perhaps try to address with new kiosk as well.
  1. Action Item Summary:  The following action items were assigned during the meeting:

Action Item

Responsible Person

Deadline

Anna to meet with Jacqueline on water billing spreadsheet corrections

Anna & JG

Before next billing

Work on water system upgrade proposal for Board

Mike Bullock

ASAP

Propose sign policy/plan for front gates

Mike & Elsa

By next meeting

Research and discuss sand containment options with upper arena contractor Triple T

Amelia

Before end of the month

  1. Adjournment. The meeting was adjourned at 7:25 pm.  Next meeting is March 19.

By:  Mike Ault, Secretary                                           Date: Feb 20, 2019